Often one of the first questions asked by families that are changing to home schooling “what curriculum should we be using”?
It’s a difficult question that unfortunately does not have an easy answer. There are many things to consider.First you will have to determine which curriculum works the best for your entire family. You will be teaching your child so it has to be something that you understand and can present in an engaging style for the student. You also should consider if this works with your family schedule. Some online based curriculum have live teachers so class times may not work around your schedule.Here are some other things you will want to consider.
- What is your child’s learning style? If they currently have no interest in reading you would not want to consider a curriculum tat is 100 percent book based. Does your child spend a lot of time on their electronic device? An online curriculum may be more suitable for this type of student.
- Does your child have any learning difficulties? There are several online curriculum available that are specifically created for kids with special needs and learning disabilities.
- Your budget is also key in determining which curriculum you will be selecting. Curriculum costs can range from a few hundred dollars each month to zero cost. It all depends on the amount of effort you are willing to put into the lesson plan. There are several library based curriculum out there that are low cost to free.
- How much time are you willing to invest each week? Although, most home schooled children do not spend 8 hours each day Monday through Friday like the traditional public school student. You will need to determine how much time would be required from you for different curriculums.
- Read online reviews for any curriculum that you are considering. If a parent loves something they will sing its praises and tell you everything that’s great about it! If they aren’t happy they will also give you every detail why. Their reasons for disapproval may be regarding things such as time and effort which may not affect your decision.
- Join home school groups on social media. This is a great opportunity to ask questions from veteran home school parents.
Don’t feel like you’re failing if the first curriculum that you choose doesn’t work for you.Most parents will tell you that they have gone through multiple curriculums before finding the one that worked best for them.
Also search for used curriculum sites online. You can usually find gently used curriculum that is deeply discounted.